International Companies. Regional Musicians. Your local bakery. They all have a presence on the social media giant that is Facebook – and rightly so. Facebook is an essential part of any business’ online marketing toolkit. But it’s NOT a website! Or, more precisely: it’s not YOUR website.
Businesses have and will continue to lean on social media for online marketing, but is it a good idea to throw the traditional dot com website out the window? No. And here are some reasons as to “why”:
You don’t OWN it.
- Facebook owns your page. If they wanted too, they could shut it down at any time if you were to violate one of their MANY rules and guidelines. Or, they could even change the way the page is set up and what content you are sharing is being seen….and your business page could suffer. Who knows what could happen?! Bottom line is that it’s not yours nor is it on your own domain.
Facebook is a closed network
- What happens if someone isn’t on social media? Believe it or not, it happens. If they have no social presence, how will they be able to see your page? They may still be able to see SOME content, but that does nothing for you or your business.
You don’t get to customize
- Sure, you can decide what you put on your Facebook wall, but that’s pretty much it. BORING! All pages look the SAME! What makes you any different to stand out? Having your own business website allows you to make it YOURS and give it your own creative spin.
No Search Benefit
- When you have your own website, you’re in control of how you’ll get found online. That means you can have your site optimized to show in search engine listings for the keywords you want to rank for. Facebook? Not so much.
There is too much happening on Facebook!
- Getting and keeping people’s attention online is so difficult to do. When you have people on your Facebook page, they are constantly distracted by their friends and ads. On your own website, you still have to work hard to keep their attention, but you have more control to do it.
The fact of the matter is you NEED your own dot com. What’s more memorable: “Facebook-Dot-Com-Slash-Your-Business-Name” or “Your-Business-Name-Dot-Com?” When you have your own domain name, not only is it easier to say and easier to remember, but it establishes a certain level of professionalism. Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE Facebook and I am on it every day for both business and pleasure. With that being said, there are a number of great things social media platforms like Facebook DO offer you — but they’re most effective when used in conjunction with your own website, not in lieu of it.
Want to learn more? Our team at FMDi specializes in selecting digital products that will enhance your business’ existing marketing strategy, including creating professional, mobile friendly websites for those in need. Let us assist you in promoting your products and services in the most effective and cost efficient way!